Maltese police have arrested 10 people in connection with the car bombing that killed anti-corruption journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia in October.
Prime Minister Joseph Muscat announced the arrests of eight of the suspects at a press conference on Monday. He later tweeted that two others had been detained.
Muscat said there was a “reasonable suspicion” the suspects were involved in the killing of Caruana Galizia, whose popular blog attacked high-level political corruption, shady business dealings and organised crime on the island.
The joint police and military operation was the first breakthrough for the Maltese investigation, which has been helped by experts from the FBI, Europol and the Finnish and Dutch security services. Police now have 48 hours to interrogate the suspects and either charge or release them.
Muscat, who was a frequent target of Caruana Galizia’s blog reports along with others in his inner circle, said he could give no further details of the arrests, the suspects or the evidence against them, but offered his “personal commitment” that those responsible for the killing would be found.
Read more here: theguardian.com
Get headlines, breaking news, and jobs announcements delivered to your inbox. Sign up for our daily newsletter.